Monday, January 26, 2009

Life: a terrible thing to waste

Ahhhh...........the teenage wasteland........or somewhat passed it.........but not really mature.........kinda like the whole Britney Spears not a girl not yet a woman thing???? You get the idea......I hope.........

Now as I mentioned earlier for some reason, honestly unbeknown to me I felt so passionate initially to dedicate my blog to technoculture (P.S. check out the MIT reference on the stub!). After this past Saturday I realized that this blog would be a great medium for me to help explore who I really am, and how the world shapes who we are as well.

This past Saturday was set to be legendary. A friend of mine and I were ready to take the stage, we got a gig to DJat a party. We spent countless hours reviewing our tracks, gathering requests and researching the hottest tracks to spin. I was kind of nervous at first, we may not realize it but a DJ has an incredible weight on their shoulders at a club. Soon after I had a couple of drinks we had people jumping around like monkeys, and were throwing in everything from house to hip hop to some wicked old school. I was on top of the world! The alcohol definitely played a part in it.........or so I thought...........

I mixed my alcohol with some things I should not have, and at about midnight made my way to the barking frog. As I made my up to the coat check in the side house, I began to feel depressed. Something was seriously wrong. My friends kept asking me "what's wrong", but I wouldn't respond. I felt a little imbalanced, and decided to make my way back to the house just down the road, hoping to catch my breath and head over to the club a little bit later.

I couldn't keep my balance. I was walking back with a friend and he kept asking me "Are you alright? What's wrong man? Talk to me". When I stepped foot into the house, I collapsed and went unconscious.

I woke up, and all I could see was white. Was I dead? Was I dreaming? How did I get here. My vision began to restore itself, and slowly yet steadily the white began to form into my immediate surroundings. I was laying on a hospital bed. Hooked up to me were all sorts of Intravenous Needles stabilizing my body with all sorts of bodily sugars. I had an oxygenated mask on my face, and the night slowly started to come back to me. As I turned my head over, I saw the most horrifying image of all.............my mother's distraught face, tears streaming down her eyes and friends all crowded around my bedside. All I could muster was a meager attempt at a "thumbs up"...........I thought I was being funny............I thought wrong.

I had apparently gone into a coma for nearly 4 hours. My mind was a complete mess, my head was throbbing and clearly my body had failed me, but my soul persisted. I was even hooked up to a tube that was helping me to breathe because I was having difficulty doing so on my own. Even though I can't claim to have seen or heard things during my unconscious state, but it was nothing less than a spiritual revelation.

My mom was incredibly upset, disappointed, worried, angry, sad, confused, but ultimately she told me kept telling me this was a wake up call, a moment to start anew. She was right. I began to do research on comas, and New York Times Article suggests that there is nothing that can "physically" be done to get someone out of a comatose state. It is ultimately up to the brain to restore itself to consciousness. Later on I found out my friends tried to apply force to my pressure points to get a physical reaction out of me at the house when I was unconscious, but I would not respond and immediately called 911. I was rushed to the hospital by ambulance. My soul did not want to give up on me......it urged me to pull through......and I am so grateful that it did.

I spent a lot of time thinking that night after coming home from the hospital. I didn't sleep for over 40 hours. I can't say I had any religious premonitions or god-like revelations, but I experienced something much simpler. I realized how grateful I was not only to still be alive, but how lucky I am to be so loved. I realized the perilous effects of alcohol, and the incredible toll it can take on your body. I can't say that I will never drink again, but I can begin this blog with the promise that I will never look into a substance to make me feel more comfortable in my skin. It's the sad truth that sometimes we all feel like we "need" something to make us feel better, or make us feel like we can do the things that we aren't normally able to do. Take a second and look at yourself in the mirror, and remember the beautiful gift of life, and appreciate the very essence of your living to follow your dreams.

Take it or leave it folks, this blog isn't for the faint of heart

No comments:

Post a Comment